Sunday 30 September 2012

Prepare Yourself Mentally To Speak In Public


By: Lindelle Jones
It is very important to avoid negative thoughts when speaking in public, as these will hinder any talent and anybody who has them will not be able to deliver a successful speech. These negative thoughts or mental images can paralyze us, make us lose our breath, make us shake and forget everything. If we are able to identify these negative thoughts, it will be easier to overcome them. These are some of those bad thoughts to be avoided:

- "What I am about to say is worthless, or will be too obvious and everybody will laugh at me..." Do not anticipate any outcome of the speech. It is very common to feel insecure especially if the message to be delivered hasn't been well prepared.

- "I hate to speak loud, I don't like it at all, and it is ridiculous..." To evaluate negatively ones voice and the fact that it may sound improper will affect the way we modulate. Only very few people have an extremely beautiful voice, and most of us range in the normal. The audience is there to evaluate the information, not the voice that is delivering it.

- "I am unable to do it, I can't speak. Other people may be able to do it but I wasn't born with the ability to speak in public": To negate our own capacity and talents will only make things worse. We are the worst and less objective judges of our own abilities and if we negate them from the very start, it will be hard to convince others of what we are capable of.

- "Everything I do, I do wrong. If I ever do this I will fail..." To accept defeat before the fight even starts will lead to an assured fail.

- "I am getting nervous, everyone will notice I am sweating, and that my legs are shaking. They probably can see that my hands are twisting and that my voice is failing me..." To feel nervous is a very natural reaction of the human body. The substances released prepare the body for extreme situations and the hyperventilation or tense muscles are normal. Cicero said that, the more important the speed, the more the normal nervousness.

- "I wish this was over soon, I will speak faster and try to disappear as soon as possible..." To avoid any kind of unpleasant situation will not prepare us for any eventuality in life. Life is dangerous, and not taking any risks is even more dangerous. Those who successfully deliver speeches, who have achieved power and fame did take a lot of risks and could overcome them.

- "I remember the first time I had to speak in public, it was disastrous..." To rely on past experiences is good, unless these experiences are negative. Everybody has the ability and intelligence to learn from past mistakes and try the best to avoid them.

These are some of the negative thoughts that should be avoided. If you feel you are being assaulted by any of these negative mental states, think that you are not the only one who ever had them or who ever will. The secret is to identify them before they appear.
Written by Lindelle Jones. Please feel free to visit my newest Swivel Club Chair site. Click here Swivel Club Chair


No comments:

Post a Comment